On March 16, 2022, new Ordinance No. 28/2022 – DIREX/PF of March 11, 2022, which decides for the extension of the deadline for migration regularization with the Federal Police in Brazil, was published in the Official Federal Gazette.
The deadlines had been suspended until March 15, 2022 and considering that there is still a large number of immigrants pending regularization in Brazil due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the ordinance establishes the following points of attention:
· The period for the application of residence authorization, and for the registration of temporary visa of immigrants whose migratory documentation has expired as of March 16, 2020 is extended until September 15, 2022;
· The immigrant who completes the regularization process within the period established will not be imposed penalty for the delay in the registration or overstay occurred in this period;
It is worth mentioning that the administrative violations practices by the immigrants beneficiaries in such ordinance but occurred on a date prior to March 16, 2020, do not benefit from the release of penalty.
· Immigrants and visitors with residence permit application completed electronically by the date such ordinance is published but pending on an appointment at local authorities, are also covered by the Ordinance;
· Registrations; applications for the confirmation of refugee status; provisional documents, and; National Migration Registry Cards (CRNMs) expired as of March 16, 2020 will be deemed extended until September 15, 2022;
· During the migratory regularization process passports, identification documents and criminal records issued abroad and expired after March 16, 2020 will be accepted, provided that the immigrant has maintained residence within the national territory and seeks to regularize their situation by September 15, 2022.
· Immigrants who have exceeded the period of 30 days abroad will not benefit from such extension.
The ordinance entered into force on March 15, 2022.
Written by Ana Gabriela Francelli – Immigration Manager and Victória Vono – Immigration Consultant