How to Renew your Green Card

The process to renew your Permanent Resident Card is done within 6 months before the expiration of the card. The Green Card renewal is done through form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. If the purpose of the application is to renew the Green Card, the only supporting evidence necessary will be a copy of the expired/expiring Green Card, and if applicable, proof of change of name.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers online filing of form I-90 or mailed paper applications, with a filing fee of $455. USCIS gives an estimate timeline to process this application in approximately 5 ½ to 12 ½ months. If the Green Card expires before the renewal is received, the original Receipt Notice will serve as proof of lawful status together with the expired Green Card.

There is often confusion between form I-90 and form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence: form I-90 is not applicable if you are a Conditional Permanent Resident wishing to remove that condition. Form I-751 is the specific application for those individuals with a 2-year conditional residence. Form I-90 is also used for correction on the Permanent Resident Card, and Replacement if the card is lost or stolen

Please note that, if the applicant wishes to become a U.S. Citizen, it is important to check the eligibility to apply for citizenship. Depending on the case, the application for Naturalization can be processed while renewing the Green Card.

For more information on your case, feel free to contact

Written by Bruna Squires, Associate at Drummond Advisors

Scroll to Top