AMERICAN INCOME TAX: we answer frequently asked questions!

Posted by on

The US tax filing process can raise some common questions early on. “What should I declare?” is one of the most frequently asked questions about the subject.

If you have income connected to the United States, be it rental income from a property located in the country, salaries, participation in a US company, or others connected to the US, you must prepare your tax return, even if you are not considered a US tax resident.  On the other hand, the tax resident must declare, in addition to their connected income, their overall income.

A US tax resident is an individual who holds citizenship, a green card, or a person who passes the Substantial Presence Test (SPT). The SPT, or physical presence test, is a way for the IRS to determine whether or not you will be considered a US tax resident based on the number of days you have been in the country over the past 3 years.

The magic number 183 and the tally uses the percentage of days the individual spent in the country during those 3 years. 100% of the present days in the fiscal year in question, 33% of the present days in the previous year, and 16% of the present days in the following year are used. If this number is greater than 183, you will be considered a US tax resident and will be required to report sources of income globally.

However, for this tally, there are days exclusions for some specific cases. Some of them include: students, trainees and teachers. This also applies to some resreach.

Written by Rodrigo Siracusa, Tax Leader of Drummond Advisors, and Fernando Azzolini, Accounting Analyst Sr. I of Drummond Advisors


Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Let's talk?

Related news

Current Outlook on US cryptocurrency taxation

Currently, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not have an internal policy on the taxation of all cryptocurrencies per se, but rather on the so-called virtual currencies, which, according to the definition of IRS itself, are any representation of a

Read More »