Immigration Brazil: Residence Permit for the purpose of providing technical assistance

By Aline Moreira

Did you know that after the entry into force of the New Immigration Law, providing technical services gave rise to the creation of two different types of residence permits?

The first of these, which will be analyzed in this article, is provided for by the Normative Resolution n.º 03/17 and regulates the concession of resident permits for the purposes of delivering technical assistance.  It is important to note that administrative, financial, and managerial functions do not fall under the concept of technical service.

In order to grant this authorization, it is necessary that the immigrant comes to Brazil to provide technical assistance services resulting from a contract, cooperation agreement, or agreement signed between the Brazilian company and the foreign company. This document must contain relevant information regarding the type of agreement entered into, including its purpose and term.

The company that will receive technical assistance in Brazil, a Brazilian company that is in the same economic group as the foreign company that employs the immigrant that will come to provide the service, or a Brazilian company that is an intermediary of the foreign company that employs the immigrant, is authorized to apply for said residency as long as it fulfills the legal requirements.

The duration of the residency permit mentioned will be for one (01) year.

However, there is a provision for granting residence for a shorter period of 180 (one hundred and eighty days), in urgent and emergency situations, by means of simplified procedures. In the first case, the order will be granted in up to 05 (five) working days and in the second, in up to 02 (two) working days.

Have any questions?  Get in touch with us by email

Attention: In the “Imminews” editions, we will answer questions about immigration, emigration, expatriation, visas for Brazil, Brazilian citizenship and changes (practical and theoretical) in immigration legislation. Feel free to send your question to, which will be answered in complete secrecy and anonymity.

Scroll to Top