BRAZILIAN IMMIGRATION: visa and residence permits to receive training in Brazil

By Breno Torquato and Aline Moreira

Following the analysis of the normative resolutions implemented after the new migration law came into force, in this article we will analyze RN 35/18, which regulates the granting of temporary visas and residence permits to foreigners who come to Brazil to receive training in the handling, operation and maintenance of machines, equipment and other goods produced in the national territory, without employment in the country.

Unlike most visas and residence permits, the purpose of this is to bring foreigners to Brazil to receive training in the handling, maintenance and operation of machines, equipment and other goods produced locally.

It is a highly relevant alternative, given that, in some sectors, Brazil is emerging as a leader in technology and procedures. It is crucial, therefore, that there is a legal provision enabling this specific training.

This resolution presents two procedural alternatives, depending on the case. One for the foreigner who comes to Brazil to receive short-term training (less than 90 days) and another for the foreigner who comes to receive long-term training (greater than 90 days).

In the first case, the visa is requested directly from the Brazilian Consulate abroad who has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence.  In cases of long-term training it is necessary to apply for a residence permit before the Immigration Coordination of the Ministry of Labor.

In neither case can the foreigner receive remuneration in Brazil, but it is mandatory to present documents that prove the acquisition of equipment from the Brazilian company by the foreign company, as well as a detailed training plan, among others.

Interessed? Get in touch with use by email and for more details!

Attention: In the “Imminews” editions, we will answer questions about immigration, emigration, expatriation, visas for Brazil, Brazilian citizenship and changes (practical and theoretical) in immigration legislation. Feel free to send your question to, which will be answered in complete secrecy and anonymity. Furthermore, with the author’s authorization, the question will be published and answered in the column!

Scroll to Top